Tuesday 28 February 2017

The Return of (my) Space Marine


Forgive the 'look what I've got' style post, I know that they are highly irritating and appear just about everywhere (particularly Facebook) but I just opened up my new copy of this game and I am very excited. 

I was surprised just how many memories came rushing back as I lifted the cardboard lid off the 1989 edition of the game. A whirl of Christmas time, poorly sprayed undercoat and my late grandparents. And as far as I can tell, the box is complete and I spent a happy hour laying out all of the components onto my parlour table and reminiscing to myself. My seven year old was intrigued by the tiny soldiers and the tanks (far more so that with my fantasy stuff at 28mm) and has expressed an interest in trying out the game.

More pressing is the need to paint up the models to a reasonable standard and create a gaming board on which to play. A fine spring project I am sure that you will agree.

Orlygg

9 comments:

  1. A fine project indeed. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this as it was a great game in its day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nathan. I haven't been concentrating on the project for long but i am really enjoying it. Having discovered that you can complete an epic unit in a hour's painting has also helped!!

      Delete
  2. No forgiveness required for posting this! I'm sure plenty like me enjoy seeing the fortune of others whose blogs we follow! I sold all my Epic figures several years ago and have felt an ongoing pang of regret since. Perhaps I wouldn't have if I'd had access to anything other than the more recent versions of the game.

    The one thing that has partly put me off Space Marine is the idea that you need all the cards as well and they are harder to come by? Maybe you culd confirm or deny this for me! Anyway, I look forward to seeing more posts on this game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure what you mean by the cards. Do you mean the additional vehicle and unit stuff published in WD?

      Delete
    2. The army cards which come with the game and, yes, which were also published in WD. I assume these are essential to the game, a bit like the vehicle data cards in 2nd ed WH40k, and this has always made me hesitate buying second hand...

      Delete
  3. Result if this gets your kids interested mate! I had an amazing game of Heroquest with my 4.5 year old on the weekend. I was technically the GM, but we have played a few times now and he was the one with the story so we played his game really.

    Hope this leads to many happy hours for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. I am glad you are passing on the sage knowledge of the grognard to the next generation.

      Delete